Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Microsoft adds Send as PDF, Convert table to a range & Morph transition to Word, Excel & PowerPoint.

I currently have 14 Microsoft apps installed on my Nexus 6 and being a Windows Phone user, it does make sense that I use them most. Same goes for apps installed on my work provided iPhone. And trust me, I have tried the resident document editors and other apps, but old habits are just hard to get rid of, and it’s mostly because Microsoft has worked hard to make the user experience almost, if not, the same across platforms. This is still work in progress, but they are surely getting there. Add the cloud to the mix and you get easy access to your documents whenever you need them with that familiar look and feel. 

I started writing this article in Word on my Nexus and will finish on Windows 10 powered Lenovo flex 3 when I get home. I very rarely use my phones to write articles because my previous devices screen real-estate did not provide much comfort to do that, whereas the Nexus 6  5.7” screen is another story, albeit it’s one that I probably won’t reiterate soon. Unless there’s a need for it. But I digress.


Microsoft has updated Word, Excel and PowerPoint, its three most popular productivity apps for Android. This update contains some features common to all thee apps and some unique ones as the change logs below show. The most noteworthy features is the ability to open .RTF files in Word, Send as PDF and the ability to insert pictures directly the camera. Excel will let you convert a table to a range. In PowerPoint, the ability to morph transition is only available to Office 365 subscribers. 

Open RTF Files: You can now open rich text format (.rtf).
• Send as PDF: Quickly share your document as a PDF file for easy viewing.
• Insert Picture from Camera: Open the camera directly from Word and take a picture. Presto! The picture is in your document.

• Send as PDF: Quickly share your document as a PDF file for easy viewing.
• Insert Picture from Camera: Open the camera directly from Excel and take a picture. Presto! The picture is in your document.
Convert table to a range: Easily convert a table to plain rows and columns when you need more flexibility and customization.

• Send as PDF: Quickly share your document as a PDF file for easy viewing.
Morph: Apply the Morph transition to easily move several objects at once. (For Office 365 Subscribers)

No comments:

Post a Comment